Search only applies to files?

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:38 PM
I maintain an ever-growing photo archive that I back up routinely to DVD as the collection grows. The basic structure is a bunch of subfolders organized by the date, name of the event, and name of the photographer. Within these folders, all the images are named sequentially (e.g., 001.jpg - 123.jpg, 01.jpg - 72.jpg, 1.jpg - 8.jpg, etc.).

I have used Blue Mirror CD/DVD Indexer to index all of the DVDs, in hopes that I would be able to use its Search functionality to quickly determine which disc(s) contain photos from a certain date, event, or photographer. However, I have tried all sorts of variations on wildcard, regex, etc. and it appears that the Search functionality is only limited to filenames. At least, I am unable to get the program to spit out any results when I try to use text that I know is part of a subfolder name.

Am I overlooking something in the way I am using the Search functionality, or is this something the program currently is unable to do?

Thanks,

Doug Thompson
Manager of Web and Electronic Communications
Ohio Wesleyan University
Apr 21, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Minor update. I think my issue is partially due to my hazy memory on the proper usage of wildcards in searches. Shortly after making this post, I was able to find subfolders just fine with the Search functionality.

But, after quitting the program and restarting it, the same searches didn't turn up subfolders.

So, I'm not sure if I'm running into a bug that might be causing erratic search behavior?
Coordinator
Apr 21, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Hi Doug!

First, make sure that folder you are looking for exists in the database (look at the treeview at left side of window). Second, make sure that you are using basic mode of searching (without keywords, creation dates and sizes). If this does not help then please send me a few screenshots to illustrate your problem to: kowaliszyn (at) gazeta.pl.

Thanks for your comment!